Call for Pitches
More Perfect Union Action is an advocacy journalism organization with a mission to build power for the working class. We cover politics, policy, labor, business, and economics news through a class lens, and we pair our video-first reporting with activism to help working people win policy fights.
We’re looking for talented content creators with a passion for news, social media, and progressive causes to join our nationwide network of video producers and reporters. We need you to tell the stories of the working class and their conditions, working Americans fighting for policy change and holding corporations accountable.
Looking for full-time roles?
We’re looking for enthusiastic people who want to tell the stories of working Americans fighting for policy change and corporate accountability.
Our coverage explores issues of:
- Labor: union drives, strike activity, worker exploitation
- Corporate accountability and consolidation
- Climate & Energy
- Health care/drug prices
- Pop culture as it relates to our mission (i.e. NFL turf field injuries and Love is Blind conditions on set)
We are seeking freelance producers and reporters that have story ideas — so please send us your pitches!
Some of our common story formats and approaches are:
- First-person worker stories that offer our audience a unique perspective into the lives of working people — exposing exploitative practices by large corporations and efforts by workers to reform them. You might be documenting injustices facing people at their workplace, or explaining an exploitative business model they’ve experienced, or getting the word out about a union drive or successful organizing campaign. Our stories are best when there’s an interesting avenue into talking about a union drive, like this video we did about Waffle House.
- Explainer videos that educate our audience about important issues and help them understand the systemic causes of the struggles of the working class. That might mean breaking down a developing news story, helping people understand an important new policy or act of corporate wrongdoing, or analyzing some topic in the discourse through an economic justice lens. We’re looking for videos that empower people with facts, context, or insights.
- Place-based stories that provide insights from residents about a news event, offer interesting perspectives about class politics, or key undercovered elections and ballot initiatives.
To learn more about the kinds of stories we’re looking for, check out our latest videos, and follow us on Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and Facebook to get a sense of our community, what we’re monitoring, and what drives our work.
Pitch More Perfect Union
Have a great story that needs to be told? Email your ideas to [email protected] with the word “Freelance Pitch” in the subject line. Please keep pitches short — we’re looking for ideas that quickly grab an audience’s attention. No need to send pages of dialogue or fully-formed scripts.
In the email with your pitch, please include links to a portfolio and/or videos showcasing previously published content where you have been credited as the primary producer. Links should be to a video hosting site (Youtube preferred), file sharing site, or website.
Compensation for contracted freelance projects is $2,000 – $3,000 per piece. We review pitches on an ongoing basis and will reply directly if we’re interested in producing your piece.